Lyft and other rideshare services have transformed how we get around, offering a convenient and affordable alternative to traditional taxis. However, accidents can happen. If you’ve been involved in a rideshare accident with Lyft in California, you may wonder, Does Lyft pay for damages following a car accident? Yes. Lyft offers insurance coverage for its passengers and drivers in case of an accident. Depending on the specific circumstances of the incident, the extent of coverage and liability for damages may vary.
This guide can assist you in understanding Lyft’s insurance coverage, determining who is liable, and seeking compensation for any damages.
Does Lyft’s Insurance Cover Passengers and Drivers?
Lyft provides insurance coverage for passengers and drivers in the event of an accident when the app is active.
Lyft Insurance Coverage for Passengers
Passengers who use Lyft services are protected by insurance in case of an accident. Two different policies cover this protection:
- The driver’s auto insurance. If the Lyft driver has auto insurance, it will provide primary coverage for any injuries the passenger sustains. However, the amount of coverage will be limited to the driver’s policy limits.
- Lyft’s contingent insurance. If the driver does not have auto insurance or the driver’s coverage is exhausted, then Lyft’s contingent insurance will cover the passenger’s injuries. This coverage is similar to the coverage provided by the driver’s auto insurance but has higher policy limits to ensure maximum protection for the passengers.
The circumstances of your accident will determine which insurance will cover your damages.
Lyft Insurance Coverage for Drivers
When drivers are logged into the Lyft app and waiting for a ride request, picking up a passenger, or taking a passenger to their destination, they are covered by commercial auto liability insurance. This insurance coverage provides multiple benefits, including:
- Bodily injury liability. Pays for medical expenses and other damages caused by bodily injury to passengers, other drivers, and pedestrians. The minimum bodily injury liability coverage for Lyft drivers is $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident.
- Property damage liability. Pays for damage to other vehicles and property caused by an accident. The minimum property damage liability coverage for Lyft drivers in California is $25,000 per accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. Pays for bodily injury damages caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver. In California, the minimum UM/UIM coverage for Lyft drivers is $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident.
California Occupational Accident Insurance (OAI) also covers Lyft drivers in California. This insurance provides payments for medical expenses, disability, and death benefits.
Who Is Liable for Damages in a Lyft Accident?
In the event of a Lyft accident, determining liability for damages will depend on the circumstances of the accident. Generally, the driver at fault for the accident will be responsible for any damages, such as a driver distracted by their phone. However, in certain situations, both Lyft and the driver’s personal insurance company may also be liable for damages. For instance, if a defect in the Lyft vehicle caused the accident, then Lyft may be held liable for the damages incurred.
What Damages Can You Recover in a Lyft Accident?
You may be eligible to receive compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and punitive damages if you’ve been injured in an accident involving a Lyft ride. Consulting a personal injury attorney focusing on Lyft accidents in California can help you understand your rights.
Why You Should Consider an Attorney
If you have been involved in an accident while driving or riding in a Lyft and have sustained an injury, seeking legal advice from a qualified attorney is highly advisable. An experienced rideshare accident attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options, create a plan of action, and negotiate with insurance companies to ensure you receive fair compensation.
We’ll Fight by Your Side
It can be overwhelming if you’ve been in a Lyft accident. You may be injured, worried about how you’ll pay for medical bills, and unsure of what to do next. At the Law Offices of Ali Yousefi, P.C., we’re here to help. We are experienced lawyers who help California residents after rideshare and other vehicle accidents, including:
- Fighting to get you the money you need for your injuries, lost wages, medical bills, and car repairs; and
- Taking care of all the paperwork and negotiations for you so you can focus on healing.
And if we can’t reach an agreement with the insurance company, we’re not afraid to take your case to court. Contact us today for a free consultation.