Car accidents can have long-lasting and devastating impacts on both your physical, mental and financial well-being. When accidents occur many people do not understand their rights and unfortunately may rely solely on the guidance of insurance companies who quite frankly do not have your best interest in mind, but instead they are focused on minimizing what you have been through in order to reduce the amount they must pay for the harm that you and your vehicle have sustained. At the Law Offices of Ali Yousefi, our Sacramento car accident lawyer Ali Yousefi will make sure that you are not taken advantage of and are fully compensated for your injuries, missed wages, medical and follow-up care, and damage to your car.
How Can an Attorney Help with Your Car Accident Claim?
You might be wondering how a car accident attorney helps after you’ve been in an accident. The answer is that an attorney can help with your car accident claim in several ways. After receiving assistance for your immediate medical injuries, contact an attorney as soon as possible. They can speak to the insurance adjusters for you, help build a strong case for compensation, collect evidence, and represent your best interests. These steps position you to receive maximum compensation.
Insurance companies are in business to make money, and if they pay you the full value of your claim, they don’t make as much money. Their adjusters are trained in using certain tactics to influence the case and pay out less money to you than you are owed. In other words, they often take advantage of unrepresented parties who don’t know how the system is supposed to work.
They may try to get you to say something that they can interpret as an admission of fault. They will likely throw out a lowball offer in the hopes that you’ll take it before you even know what your case is worth or what expenses you will encounter down the road. Or they could deny legitimate claims altogether. If you don’t have an attorney, you might fall prey to any of these unfair practices that end up denying you the assistance you need and deserve.
An attorney knows how to move the case along so no deadlines are missed. The statute of limitations for personal injury cases in California is two years from the date of the injury. If the discovery of the injury occurs later, then the statute of limitations is one year from the date it was discovered. That can sound like a lot of time, but building a case takes time—so you need to get started right away, and your lawyer will know what steps to take.
We can help you determine if you have a case for which you may recover damages.
Under California law, to file a case to pursue compensation for injuries and losses, you must establish the following:
- The accident occurred due to the negligence of another party,
- You sustained injuries and or other losses, and
- The accident caused your injuries and damages.
Your attorney is well-versed in what it takes to establish the other party’s negligence—even if you are partly at fault. California follows the legal doctrine of pure comparative negligence. This means that you can still get compensation if you suffer injuries in an accident for which you share blame. It will simply be reduced by your percentage of fault. Therefore, if you have $100,000 in damages but are 20% at fault, you can still recover $80,000. Your lawyer knows how to minimize your percentage of fault and how to assert your claim.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in CA
Car accidents can occur due to a variety of factors, ranging from human error to environmental conditions. Here is a list of common causes of car accidents that we see most often at our firm:
- Distracted Driving: One of the leading causes of car accidents is distracted driving. This includes activities such as texting, talking on the phone, eating, or engaging with electronic devices while operating a vehicle. Distractions divert attention away from the road, increasing the likelihood of collisions.
- Speeding: Driving above the speed limit or at an unsafe speed significantly raises the risk of accidents. Higher speeds reduce reaction times and make it more challenging to control the vehicle, increasing the severity of potential crashes.
- Drunk Driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a dangerous behavior that impairs judgment, coordination, and reaction times. Intoxicated drivers pose a serious risk to themselves and others on the road.
- Reckless Driving: Reckless behaviors, such as aggressive driving, tailgating, erratic lane changes, and running red lights, greatly increase the chances of accidents. Reckless drivers disregard traffic laws and compromise the safety of everyone sharing the road.
- Weather Conditions: Adverse weather conditions, such as rain, snow, fog, or ice, can make driving more hazardous. Reduced visibility, slippery road surfaces, and decreased traction contribute to a higher risk of accidents.
- Fatigue: Driving while fatigued or drowsy can impair concentration, reaction times, and decision-making abilities. Fatigue-related accidents are particularly prevalent during late-night or long-distance driving.
- Failure to Obey Traffic Laws: Disregarding traffic signals, failing to yield the right of way, or improperly changing lanes can lead to collisions. Neglecting to follow basic traffic laws puts drivers and others at unnecessary risk.
- Inexperienced or Elderly Drivers: Inexperienced drivers, such as newly licensed teenagers, may lack the necessary skills and experience to handle challenging driving situations. Similarly, elderly drivers may experience reduced reflexes and impaired vision, which can contribute to accidents.
By being aware of these common causes, drivers can take proactive measures to avoid accidents and make responsible choices behind the wheel. Practicing defensive driving, maintaining focus, obeying traffic laws, and adapting to weather conditions are crucial steps toward creating a safer driving environment for all.
Do I Need to Hire a Lawyer for a Minor Car Accident?
In most cases, hiring an attorney following a car accident is wise. But it isn’t necessary to hire an attorney after every accident. If the accident was a minor fender bender where no one sustained injuries, an attorney might be unnecessary. However, if you have a small claim, you still deserve compensation. If you receive no resolution on your claim, you may need to hire an attorney even if you do not have any significant injuries.
Is It Worth Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer?
If you sustain an injury in an auto accident due to the negligence of others, contacting a Sacramento car accident lawyer is an important step.
An attorney can build a strong case and position your claim in an advantageous way as they take your case to the negotiating table. They know how to handle the insurance adjusters and deflect their tactics that are designed to deny you the money you need and deserve. They know how to best present your case, and if negotiations fail, they know how to take your case to trial and win. They won’t let the insurance company take advantage of you. The at-fault party’s insurance company will likely have more resources than you do. But your attorney’s skills level the playing field and give you a much higher chance of getting full compensation.
What Are the Qualities of the Best Car Accident Attorney?
Finding the best car accident attorney near you can be critical to the case outcome. A skilled attorney can make all the difference in your case and your ability to receive the compensation you deserve. Let’s look at what qualities your attorney should possess.
When seeking an attorney, make sure they have years of experience winning your type of case. Additionally, find a lawyer who has ample trial experience. Most cases settle without going to a jury. We seek to resolve cases without litigation, if at all possible, to reduce costs and maximize client returns. However, out-of-court resolutions are not always possible. Thus, finding an attorney with trial experience is critical if your case goes to trial.
Compassion for Accident Victims
Finding a Sacramento car accident lawyer who cares for you as a person. Compassion for accident victims makes the attorney-client relationship operate more effectively. When an attorney exhibits compassion, they will fight harder and more fully understand your concern.
Insurance companies seek to maximize profits. They use countless tactics to discourage and demoralize victims that attempt to file claims or lawsuits. The attorney you hire should not only have experience achieving outcomes with the insurance companies, but they should possess the determination to push through any of the tactics adjusters typically use.
Who Pays for the Attorney in a Car Accident?
It is typical for personal injury lawyers to work on a contingency fee basis. That means that our services are completely free unless and until we get money for you. If you win, we collect a fee based on a percentage of your settlement. You will never have to pay us out-of-pocket. We begin each case with a free consultation with no obligation to hire us.
Contact a Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer Today
You might wonder, how do I find a car accident attorney near me? Contact the Law Offices of Ali Yousefi, P.C. Attorney Ali Yousefi goes to work each day to see that clients are compensated for the injustices they have suffered. As an auto accident victim himself, he can personally relate to the physical, emotional, and mental toll the claims process can entail. The legal team at the Law Offices of Ali Yousefi, P.C. will fight aggressively for you so that you can focus on recovery.
We also focus on car accident claims such as:
Contact us today at 650-409-9701 or contact us online and see how our attorney Ali Yousefi can help you.